Tuesday, July 19, 2011

July 19th, 2011

     I went to water test today and it was HOT, HOT, HOT! On the beach it was already 94 degrees with no breeze at 9:30 a.m. The water was 87 degrees! It was cooler once you got out of the river bottom and there was a breeze, but it was still way too hot! I finally stopped sweating (by running the air conditioning nearly full blast in the car) and got the water sample back to the lab. This time we are running both the lab bacteria test and the IOWATER bacteria test to compare the results. Unless something is horribly wrong the tests should have similiar results.
     On Saturday I am attending the IOWATER Benthic Invertebrates workshop in Dubuque. I want to see if it's something our Biology teacher could use. We want to take the Chemistry students out to run Chemical tests on a body of water while the Biology students run bacteria tests and also look for living organisms in the water.  We are hoping they can work together pooling the results and looking for correlations between the Chemicals in the water and the living things in the water.
     Next week is my last official water testing week, but since I have registered my testing site I will still be monitoring it once a month starting in August  until the water freezes. I am enjoying watching how water characteristics change as water levels change. After a year of data, I will have a base-line of information to use to watch for unusual changes.
     One thing I am grateful for is that the heat did not start in earnest untilafter Project AWARE. I don't think it would have been nearly as enjoyable if it was this hot!

No comments:

Post a Comment