Thursday, July 7, 2011

Week #3 Question

     The connections I see between my externship and science essential skills is almost patently obvious. We are using the IOWATER tests and a lab bacteria test to test the water samples from various places, so we are conducting scientific inquiry. I am curious about how water is affected by different human activities and testing the water and observing the land and water uses in that area, I can see the connection between how we use the land and water and what happens chemically to the water as a result. I am also expecting to eventually note seasonal changes. For example, as we move into the late summer, less fertilizer will be used and how will that affect the chemicals in the water? How does harvesting crops affect the water? How do temperature changes and shorter days affect the water? Is my hypothesis correct? Will I need to change it? Can I support my hypothesis with the data I gather? Will I need more information and research?

     As far as 21st century skills goes, any kind of technical lab skills are a helpful in a science field. Technology-wise, the interactive IOWATER atlas is an interesting and informative tool to learn how to navigate. Learning about the world around them and how the students affect it is also important, so students can see the interconnectivity they have to everyone around them.

     As far as the 5 characteristics of effective instruction, relevance is clearly being taught. Students can directly see the impact they have on their environment from the food they eat, to their recreational activities, to their water consumption. With the IOWATER test kit, students can choose what water they are concerned about and make their own conclusions about it (student-centered classrooms). Teaching for understanding is also an important part of reading and understanding the test results.

     I believe the IOWATER test kits can be a very useful tool in a classroom interested in covering many of the Iowa Core topics with one assignment or set of activites.

No comments:

Post a Comment